Thursday, September 15, 2011

Night Owl

I've always been a night owl, night-time is as comfortable to me as daytime is to others.  And I'm no stranger to lack of sleep either, which perhaps more then a little worrying.  I prolong sleep with stubborn determination.  Eventually, though, my body has it's way, and I am forced into the the arms of Morpheus.

Not pictured: Me.

Speaking of Morpheus, I'm fairly sure he takes a substantial hit of LSD before carrying me off into dreamland, because my dreams almost always tend towards the completely insane.  Now, I can almost hear you saying: "of course they're insane, they're dreams," but by even the standards of dreams, my midnight imaginings are particularly surreal, and always different.

I haven't had this dream yet, though.  Probably just a matter of time.
One of my dreams involved sailing an endless sea that I somehow knew covered then entire world.  Majestic, sparkling waterfalls fell from the few rocky outcroppings that hadn't been consumed by the waves.  In the distance, I could see tornadoes made out of silver, gyrating and twisting in on themselves.  It was beautiful, and yet profoundly alien.

I hope you aren't hydrophobic.


I was having a conversation with my sister, and she was telling my about a crazy dream she had about her, her friend Victoria, and the character Edward from Twilight playing cards together, or something, and all I could think was: "that is NOTHING".  Most people have dreams that are slightly connected to reality, or at least are somewhat plausible, like failing a test or something, and everybody laughs at you, perhaps.  Or dreams that contain a celebrity like, well, Edward Cullen.  I tend to have nothing of the sort.

OMG ROBERT PATINSEN IS SO HOTTTTTtTTttTtTT *explodes*

As a musician, I hear music and rhythm everywhere: in the tick-tick of a turn signal cycling, the steady click of high heels on marble, and even the typing of a keyboard.  And I hear it in my dreams.  As I sleep, I'll hear an amazing song, a revolutionary song, a song that defies understanding and breaks genre lines, and I'll wake up wondering what that song was.  And then I'll realize that my mind composed it while I was asleep, and I'll feel slightly sad, because I'll know that nothing I can make while I am awake can ever stack up to the greatness of what my subconsciousness can compose.


"It's pronounced MOWG!!!"








I wonder sometimes what life would be like if the framework of dreams was our reality, if the ever-shifting psychological soup of the mind was how we lived our lives.  I don't think it's much of a stretch to say: if that were true, life would be more then a little bit strange.  A world where the laws of physics and logic simply do not apply, a world shaped by the subconscious of the beings living on it would be quite a world indeed. 

Gives a different meaning to "living the dream", doesn't it?  



No comments:

Post a Comment